Tuesday, March 11, 2008

A day in Ronda

This past Friday, ISA took us to Ronda for a day trip. It's actually quite a historical city, but you can look up all the details about that because I don't want to bore you all with more information, I just want to excite you with my adventures!

So Ronda is home to the oldest bullring in all of Spain, and that's where we went first. Our program directors Tamara and Carmen told us all about its history and what bullfighting actually consists of. We then got to actually go out onto the sand of the ring where thousands of fights have been held. Being the fun people that we are, we decided to mock bullfight and got some good pictures out of it. The bullring has a whole museum dedicated to the history of the bullfight and what matadors do. There is also an equestrian school within the building and we got to see some of the students practice.

After the bullring we headed to the new bridge which was built in the 17th century. It was pretty cool because it was over this massive gorge called Tahoe. It was so deep that we couldn't even see the bottom! After about 2 hours of tourist activity, we went out to explore the city. We found these really awesome shoe shops. Of course, us girls gave in and I got some beautiful shoes that I know Meredith is going to be jealous of. We also stopped for some gelatto, and it was the best icecream that I've ever had...even better than Bubbling Brook's! We didn't stay very long in the city, and were back in Sevilla by 5:30.

Unlike the rest of my weekends here, it was pretty low-key. We went out walking Saturday to try and explore Sevilla a little bit more, but instead ended up at some riverside cafe's for sangria and girl chat. This weekend was very relaxing and definitely helped to prep for this upcoming week because I leave for Morocco Friday morning at 5 am and Semana Santa is going to be absolutely crazy here in Sevilla.

I'll try to make sure that I post about Morocco as soon as I get back next Wednesday so that way all of you have more adventures to read about and don't have to wait like last time. I miss you all and hope to hear from you soon!

No comments: